Tuesday, February 10, 2009

joie de vivre: a music entry.













The first time I heard Bon Iver, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up tall. I was left in what I can only describe as a musical stupor - who the hell is this and how many times can I hit 'replay' before I start pissing off the neighbors?

Bon Iver is today's joie de vivre because listening to him is like walking through fog or staring up at misty street. It's haunting, it's beautiful, it's poetry. It reminds you what music is capable of.

Justin Vernon wrote his first album one winter in the northwoods of Wisconsin, sequestered in a remote cabin - and you can hear that in his voice, in his lyrics. Even if you didn't grow up braving freezing cold and dark winters, anyone can relate to the feeling of winter. It's desolate and beautiful. It's lonely and comforting. Most of all, it makes you stand up and take notice of your surroundings instead of letting it all slide into the periphery.

No comments:

Post a Comment