Sunday, February 1, 2009

Yoga for the awkward.

If a stranger met me on a crowded street, I can guarantee that a thought running through his or her head as we crossed paths would not be, "My, there goes a particularly graceful and flexible young lady." I am neither of these things, quite frankly. My gait is awkward at best, and because of a condition I was born with my balance is all but on permanent vacation. Maybe that's why I'm drawn to those who can fold themselves in half or gracefully balance upon one foot with their arms stretched towards the sky... maybe it's just the manifestation of my jealousy issues.

The truth is, people practice yoga for a lot of different reasons. For some it's strength training; for others, it's a ways to keep stress at bay. I suppose the reason why I keep dragging out the blue mat is a combination of the above reasons, but also for the simple fact that it brings me to some sort of awareness of this thing I call my body. For some reason, breathing in through my nose and tripping over my feet as I attempt to get into downward dog position reminds me that when you strip away all the noise, it's just you and your body. When you're only left to concentrate on your breathing and the movements of your body, it can clear out the cobwebs. Today's joie de vivre is yoga. Not because I'm any good at it, not because I'm some hippie-in-training. It's because yoga pulls life a little bit into perspective... sort of the same way it pulls at your hamstrings: it can be uncomfortable, but overall it loosens you up and makes you feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment