Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Rain, I don't mind.














There is something particularly cruel about waking up to the sound of steady rain when drifting back to sleep isn't an option. In grad school, a student once asked me if class was canceled for rainstorms. I laughed in her face that day, but now, a week into mornings that begin with a string of rain-induced obscenities, I'm beginning to see her point.

Rain isn't all bad, of course. The Morton Salt Girl seems relatively content, and I'm not one to deny plants a beverage now and then. It certainly makes those running-towards-your-soulmate scenes in movies towards more dramatic when it's in the midst of a downpour.

Perhaps the most redeeming part of rainy weather, though, is thanks to my happy yellow raincoat. While it's not without its ridicule (the office manager shouted "Hey Gorton, love the fishsticks!" when I came into work this morning), my raincoat makes me not mind waiting outside for the bus on days like these when Austin turns into one enormous puddle. I am water repellent, bucko. Bring it on. And just wait 'til I get a pair of wellies... then we'll be talking some serious rainy day joy.

I'll be happy when the sun returns and I can put away my coat, but in the mean time, it's given me enough joy to prompt a rainy day photoshoot in the backyard. That's got to account for something, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment