Monday, September 6, 2010

Bad habits and seafood.

I've developed some bad habits over the years since I began living alone. I find it completely appropriate to begin taking off my pants as I head to the bathroom, for example. I talk to myself constantly. I drink straight from the milk carton. While these things are enough to make Emily Post flip over in her grave, perhaps no bad habit is as worrisome to me as my tendency to eat over the kitchen sink. There, I said it: I eat over the kitchen sink. I'm a sinkie. On one hand, crouching over the kitchen sink saves on plates, spills, and avoids yet another personal reminder that my kitchen table is broken and has been since I moved in over a year ago. On the other hand, it's rather unbecoming. I'm mid-way through my mango and then suddenly realize I'm not that far removed from Wilbur eating from the trough. It's an unsettling thought.

In an effort to reclaim my (still broken) kitchen table, I plan to make more meals that require basic utensils.Tonight? Victory.

Laura, 1. Kitchen Sink, 0.

Garlicky Baked Shrimp
adapted from Real Simple Magazine

1 pound raw, peeled and deveined shrimp
4 cloves sliced garlic
2 tablespoons chicken broth
salt and pepper
1/4 cup softened butter (I reduced it to 2-3 tbsp. Heart attacks = Sad face.)
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 425F.

In a baking dish, combine the shrimp, garlic and broth. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the butter, bread crumbs and parsley and sprinkle over shrimp. Bake 15 to 18 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Is that the actual photo of your creation? It's fit for a glossy cover of a magazine. Well done. I too am a fan of sinkie eating--or at least eating while standing. No time to sit.

    ReplyDelete