Monday, October 4, 2010

Music of the month.

It must be weird being rich. I can't imagine walking into a store without making a beeline to the sales rack (my dad swears by that one) or choosing something at a restaraunt without at least considering its cheapest option first. I was taught to be a frugal bugal and this I shall remain.

Except at the beginning of each month. I only get paid monthly which is basically a huge problem. For a few days, I feel remarkably rich. Ask me to dinner, and I'll probably buy us dessert. Need another round at the bar? Don't worry, I got this one. Of course, as soon as my rent check is cashed, reality sets in and it's back to my penny pinching ways. And then by the end of the month, I'm eating pantry food selections and wondering how long I can put off that toilet paper purchase.

One of  my favorite first o' the month pasttimes is stocking up on a handful of new albums. I tend to grab whatever's on sale for $5 on Amazon with the occassional full price (!) choice. This month's selection?


Tift Merritt
See you on the moon

Mayer Hawthorne
A strange arrangement

Janis Joplin
Pearl

Natasha Bedingfield
Pocketful of sunshine
(Quit your hipster judgement.)

Maybe when I'm independently wealthy or marry up I'll be one of those music snobs who only buys directly from the artist and yammers on and on about how the art of creating an album is dead, that itunes and amazon is killing music industry, how vinyl is the only true musical medium worth listening to, yadda yadda yadda. In the mean time, I'll have to make do. At least I have first o' the month music to keep me feeling richer than I really am.

1 comment:

  1. mayer hawthorne opened when i saw passion pit a ways back. it was an odd pairing, but he was pretty adorable.

    ReplyDelete