Thursday, January 8, 2009

Colorful bits of paper.



In the past few weeks, I've been down more times than I've been up. Too many tears for not enough reasons, that sort of thing. I've been restless- a few times without thinking I would just climb in my car, driving around Columbia at night trying to get lost (it's still possible, although I'm pretty good at guessing where I'll wind up). Knowing my way around a city shouldn't exactly bum me out, but for some reason it does. In my mind, I've somehow already uncovered everything cool about this place. Now, with a year left, things will stay stagnant and predictable.

I can't figure out what this Molly Malaise stuff is, but I'm certainly glad I had a reprieve from it this weekend. A few days ago, I got a strange little package in the mail from a friend which was filled with rolled up colorful pieces of paper. I had instructions to put them in a bowl and read a few each day.

Liz had written little notes in each piece of paper, saying nice (as well as ridiculous) things such as...
You listen with both ears and an open mind.
You have the incomparable ability to articulate the essence of a character in one word.

Not many people have a bowl of affirmations at their disposal. And I don't think it could have come at a better time - Molly Malaise doesn't stand a chance with friends like mine around.
Today's joie de vivre: unexpected support.

No comments:

Post a Comment