Thursday, March 12, 2009

Ode to Ira

I'm not the type of girl who has many crushes. Occasionally I'll lift an eyebrow in the general direction of a male, or in a rare instance I'll be so enamored with a beauty of a waiter that I'll drop my fork and forget how to say "water" at a busy Mexican restaurant. But, in general, crushes take too much effort and I'm either too practical or too boring for them.

With one major exception. I adore, nay, LOVE Ira Glass. If I had a crush list, he'd be in the top five, easy. It could be his glasses or soothing Thursday night voice. Maybe it's his charming demeanor or cute dopey grin.

Mostly it's just that after an episode of This American Life I always find a renewed interest in something, whether it's the episode's topic or just a desire for conversation. In college, I used to wonder what kind of conversations my professors would have with their partners at the dinner table. I always imagined it to be incredibly intellectual, something that despite nearly 20 years of schooling, I can't quite replicate during my own meals unless I get a little help.

I'd bet Ira Glass has a few things to say come dinnertime and he's been generous enough to share the topic with me once a week. For those of you who aren't already in love with Ira, you can always join me here. Let's discuss afterward.

No comments:

Post a Comment