Thursday, June 4, 2009

don't panic.

This blog has been a little quiet lately. For the past couple of weeks, I've been packing up my life and all of its belongings, heading to a new city where no one knows my name. I can obviously recognize the adventure of it all: a new beginning, new surprises at every turn, and everything yet to be discovered. Still, despite all of the excitement, it's difficult and lonesome, too. It's easy to let joy take a back seat when you can't find the nearest grocery store and turning the wrong way onto a street can send you into a spiral of tears.

I've never been any good at bottling up my emotions. If I feel sad, I will be sad, period. I've never figured out how to contain my feelings, and as the years pass, I realize I wouldn't want to even if I could. Being so transparent has its drawbacks, sure, but my tears signal that I need to call someone on the phone. Feeling nervous reminds me to put things into perspective. A clenched fist tells me to take a deep breath.

Today's joie de vivre is when you finally learn not be so hard on yourself. Feel things, experience them fully, and then keep going. You're doing great - and so am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment