Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Everything I know I learned from Girl Scouts.

When I was in Girl Scouts we used to sing a song about how friends were flowers in the garden of life. I can almost picture singing this song with my fellow Brownies, clutching each others' hands as we belted out the lyrics in a semi-circle. Girl Scouts felt incredibly important in grade school - maybe it was the sash - but I took it all to heart. Maybe that's why, 20 years later, girl scout songs are still belted out in my shower on a semi-regular basis.

I have fabulous friends who despite distance and time I still keep in close contact. Even those I don't speak to regularly are still held on my mantel shelf of awesome. I am incredibly proud of the people I choose to keep around me. And it sucks - incredibly - to be far away from all of them right now. I only hope that the new friends I make will be half as good as the ones I already have.

I checked my google reader today only to find this online shoutout on one of my favorite blogs, thanks to Lizzie. Who doesn't love a little online love, now and then? Despite the Austin heat, I still appreciate the warm fuzzies. And speaking of warm fuzzies...

Friends are like flowers, beautiful flowers
Friends are like flowers in the garden of life.
Are you a Daisy? Are you a Rose? Are you a Dandilion?
You can be what you are and I willl be what I am
We can be friends in the garden of life.

Are you gagging yet? Pish posh, get over it - a little joie never hurt nobody.

No comments:

Post a Comment